Matt leads a number of funded research projects with a focus on computing with uncertain and dynamic spatial information, in particular in connection with sensor-enabled and location-aware systems. His current major funded research projects include:
- RISER: Resilient information systems for emergency response, Australian Research Council Linkage Projects, 2012-2016, $510K AUD, A/Prof Matt Duckham, Dr Allison Kealy, Prof William Moran, Dr Kevin Tolhurst, A/Prof Christian Vecchiola, Dr Andrew Rawlinson, Prof Larry Smarr, Dr Sarah Harris, Dr Juerg von Kaenel. See: http://riser.net.au
- From environmental monitoring to management: extracting knowledge about environmental events from sensor data, Australian Research Council Discovery Projects, 2012-2015, $360K AUD, A/Prof Matt Duckham, Dr Allison Kealy, Dr Kai-Florian Richter, A/Prof Stephan Winter, Mr Stuart Kininmonth, Asst Prof Alexander Klippel, Dr Patrick Laube, Mr Jarod Lyon, Dr David Medyckyj-Scott, Dr Tim Wark. See: http://ambientspatial.net/amsi/senseknow/
- Artificial intelligence meets wireless sensor networks: Filling the gaps between sensors using spatial reasoning, Australian Research Council Discovery Projects, 2012-2015, $320K AUD, A/Prof Jochen Renz, A/Prof Matt Duckham, A/Prof Sanjiang Li.
- Talking about place: tapping human knowledge to enrich national spatial data sets, Australian Research Council Linkage Projects, 2010-2013, $300K AUD, A/Prof Stephan Winter, Dr Matt R Duckham, A/Prof Timothy J Baldwin, Dr Allison N Kealy, Dr Lawrence Cavedon, A/Prof Lesley F Stirling, A/Prof Abbas Rajabifard. See: http://telluswhere.net.
- Internet of Things testbed for creating a smart city, Australian Research Council LIEF Projects, 2012–2013, $270K AUD, Palaniswami, Mendis, Taylor, Chung, Pathirana, Buyya, Leckie, Duckham, Nandagopa.
His past major funded projects have included:
- Ambient spatial intelligence: Spatial analysis and event detection in environmental geosensor networks, Australian Research Council, Future Fellowships, 2009-2013, $686K AUD, Dr Matt Duckham.
- Automatic fusion of geoinformation: The intelligent geomediator architecture (iGMA), Australian Research Council Discovery Projects, 2006-2009, $160K AUD, Dr Matt Duckham.
- CEWAY: Cognitively ergonomic wayfinding directions for location-based services Australian Research Council Linkage Projects, 2005-2008, $205K AUD, Dr Stephan Winter, Dr Matt Duckham, Dr Lars Kulik